Willy Govender originates from Durban, South Africa and has over 30 years experience in the technology, property and consulting related sectors. He is an accomplished entrepreneur having founded over 8 start-ups in his career and has a vast amount of international experience especially in South Africa, India, UK, USA and China. Willy started out in the mapping industry, and initially built his career around spatial technologies, before branching out into software development, consulting and property valuations.
He has a penchant for innovation and has won numerous awards including the coveted Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur award in 2009 as well as the International Award by the IAAO. As a director on several company boards, he provides excellent leadership and strategic direction, especially through the use of technology to innovate and make companies more efficient.
Willy is an avid all round sportsman and athlete and has recently completed the Berlin, London, Paris, New York, Boston, Chicago and Tokyo Marathons. He is married and has two daughters.
- Diploma in Computer Programming (Damelin)
- Financial Management : London Business School
- Private Equity : London Business School
- Project Leader for the Regulatory Impact Assessment for the Establishment of the Office of Valuer General in South Africa
- Preparation of Bid Book for the Durban bid to host 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Programme Manager for the Compliance Study of 20 municipalities to the Municipal Property Rates Act in South Africa
- Consultant for the Revenue Enhancement of 6 Cities for the Ministry of Urban Development in India
- Programme Manager for the Establishment of the Property Tax Database for the North Delhi Municipal Corporation, India
- Programme Management of Mass Valuation 3 million properties in the cities of Joburg, eThekwini (Durban), Ekhuruleni (East Rand) and Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth).
- Developer of Value Assist CAMA software product.
- Programme Leader for the Development of the Logosoft (Local Government Software) in South Africa.
- Principle Consultant on the Census 2001 project for GIS for Statistics SA, as well as past experience in Census 2001 and Census products.
- Project manager (IT and GIS components) of the Demarcation of municipal boundaries and delimitation of ward boundaries for the Municipal Demarcation Board, including the information dissemination strategies and design of products such as
- Municipal Profiles and SA Explorer.
- Identification of ISRDS nodal points for the Independent Development Trust and the further assessment of the nodes.
- Development of a Data Bank for 200000 municipal employees for SALGA and SALGBC
- Data Analysis for National Treasury for Municipal Financial Viability
- Assessment of Impact of Property Rates Act on municipalities in South Africa, and the development of ratios for categorization of properties.
- Joburg, eThekwini, Ekhuruleni, Nelson Mandela Bay in South Africa
- North Delhi Municipal Corporation, India
- Departments of Rural Development and Land Reform, Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, National Treasury in South Africa
- Ministry of Urban Development, India
- Statistics South Africa
- Municipal Demarcation Board
- National Electricity Regulator
- Research Triangle Institute
- Leadership and Executive Management
- Entrepreneurial and Intrapreneurial Skills
- Project Leadership and Management
- Innovation and Technology
- Computer Programming and Database Management
- GIS and Mapping
- Analytical and Problem Solving
- Entrepreneur having founded 8 companies in addition to investment holding and property companies.
- Started Data World in 1994, Data Matrix in 1999, Cityworks in 2003, Bizworks in 2004, Evaluations in 2005, Xcallibre in 2008, Convergence in 2010 and Eduworks and Smartmatic Africa in 2013.
Winner of Multiple Awards
- 2004 Kwazulu Natal IT Personality of the Year
- 2009 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in Emerging Category
- 2009 International Award by IAAO for Valuations
- Black ICT Company of the Year
- Business Processing Centre of the Year
- Started Data World India in 2008
- Started Xcallibre India in 2010
- Investment in Destiny Wireless, UK
- Investment in Spatial Comps, USA
- Joint venture with Smartmatic, Africa
- Joint venture with HCL Learning, India
Managed large projects as Programme Director/Project Manager
- ERP Billing System Implementation
- Valuation projects in South Africa for over 3 million properties
- Demarcation of municipalities in South Africa
Presenter at several international conferences
- Geospatial Mapping World
- IAAO International Conference
- IPTI International Conference
- UN GGIM Chapter